Facebook has been around for more than a decade but it continues to dominate the social media space. According to Dreamgrow.com, it still takes the cake as the most popular platform out there. Despite a huge drop in its market share, from 70% to 36.64% as of July 2018.
But it’s not all negative numbers because in the midst of this, Facebook was still able to hit an new milestone. To date, it is the first to pass the 1 billion mark. There are 2.2 billion active Facebook users today.
The ubiquitous nature of Facebook is largely due to the fact that it continues to evolve. At times, the platform itself feels like a living being because it is constantly changing. The developers behind are constantly making tweaks and adjustments to the features we all know and love. Not all the changes they’ve made have been welcome, but they have definitely helped sustain user interest.
Access to Everyone
Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and face of the company, has always been open about his desire that Facebook be accessible to everyone. And the creation of Facebook Lite is consistent with that. This version of the app takes up less space and can work with 2G connectivity.
All About Function
Facebook Lite retains many of the app’s classic features like editing your profile, liking photos and sharing your Timeline. However, it does come with its own specific features. Here’s what is listed on its product information page.
- Installs fast – the app is smaller, so it’s quick to download and uses less storage space.
- Works on old Android phones – you can use it on older Android phones not supported by the regular Facebook app
- Uses less data – be more efficient with your mobile data. Save money by using less data.
- Loads quickly – it is our fastest app. Upload photos faster and see updates from friends.
- Works on all networks – it is designed for 2G networks and areas with slow or unstable internet connections.
The Latest APK and installation
Facebook Lite can easily be downloaded from Google Play Store. However, if you do not have this feature on your Android mobile phone, you can follow the steps below.
- Enable the installation process in the Settings menu. Open the main Settings menu and then click Security. Select Unknown Sources and then click “OK”.
- Pull up a browser and open up this link. Choose the latest version of Facebook Lite from the list (the one on top).
- Click on the Download button, then click “OK” when you get a warning about the APK file.
- Once the download is complete, tap on the notification you received to begin the installation process. Just click Install in the next screen and you’re ready to go.
- Open the app if you’ve just installed from your home screen. Find the one that’s labelled “Lite” in the app drawer. It should have a white icon rather than the normal blue one. Create an account or log into one.
You’ll see that the interface is pretty straightforward. The icons at the top go directly to the Timeline, Contacts, Messages (this is the internal messenger you’re looking for), notifications, and Search pages. Those three icons with horizontal bars is the main menu, wherein you’ll find links to less-used parts of the app as well as the Settings menu.